Sunday, September 03, 2006

Film Fest

Watched 3 films today in 3 different malls. This is one of the things I miss when I'm in Hong Kong. I've noticed that the cinemas there are a bit cramped, although the seats are nice. Plus, their film selection isn't as varied as the ones we have here. First, I saw "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" followed by "The Devil Wears Prada" and capped off with "Click."

"Click" had a good premise and a lesson to drive home to corporate, work-driven America. Too bad it was muddled by the middle of the film. David Hasselhoff's campy performance added a bit of fun to the film, but it was seeing Christopher Walken do excerpts from his "Weapon of Choice" dance that made this film the price of admission.

"My Super Ex-Girlfriend" started well, flopped in the middle, and got too cartoony-crazy in the end. It's nice to see a superhero movie where the lead heroine actually changes into fashionable costumes and has some neuroses. Plus, it shows that heroes do have their human side, too. But the best bit of this film was the shark out of water.

"The Devil Wears Prada" is excellent. Meryl Streep's downplayed acting was fabulous. Giselle Bundchen was refreshing to watch. Anne Hathaway was fine, although it looks like she was channeling her "Princess Diaries" cuteness too much. Seeing her transform had as much emotional impact as Rachael Leigh Cook's "going-down-the-stairs-while-"kiss me"-was-playing-moment" in "She's all that." And of course, seeing that with "Vogue" in the background deserves an Oscar.

I'm disappointed that I didn't catch "American Dreamz" though. I hope they'll show some more great films before I go back to Hong Kong on Thursday.

No comments: