Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Stanley Stories 3: Putting the Pep in Pepperoni's



Ahhh... Pepperoni's. Hands down, they've got the best pizza in Hong Kong. I remember my first Pepperoni's experience in 2001. Alone in my hotel room, can't decide what to eat, walking outside the hotel, picked up a leaflet lying on the floor, turned out to be Pepperoni's, had pizza delivered, and the rest was history.

Since then, I've made it a point to order Pepperoni's at least once on every trip. Their pizza reminds me of the old 3M Pizzas that we'd order as kids. Their crust is both thick and crunchy. This combination is quite tricky because most of the thick crust pizzas have this bread-y tasting crust, while the thin crust ones may be crunchy, but they usually have less toppings because the width can only support so much weight.



Pepperoni's crust is thick enough to carry loads of cheese and a multitude of toppings, but it's crunchy enough to give out that sumptuous "crrunchhh" sound everytime you bite into it. The cheese they use has this cheddar-y, mozzarella-y taste of my childhood, and the tomato sauce has just a hint of sweetness to it. My favorite flavors are the vegetarian and the chicken pesto. Since Melvin isn't vegetarian, I opted to order the chicken pesto for him to enjoy.



Another dish I regularly order is this geeky sounding dish called Chickery-chick starter plate. This is an all-Chicken appetizer dish with all things fowl. Wings, tenders, popcorns, and a side of potato wedges.



Heck, why can't they just call it a Chicken Starter Plate. It's bad enough that the server had a difficult time saying "Chicken", now he had to contend with saying "Chickery-Chick". It does remind me of a birthday song they played during birthday parties at McDonald's back then when I was still working there as a crew. It was a song that ended with the line: "Chickery Chick is me!"



Bad names aside, I love this dish. Again, while I'd order the seafood basket whenever I come here alone, i'm with a meat eater. This is a very suitable substiture. Served with Heinz on the side, this dish alone is enough to make me rub my tummy in delight.

But then again, i'm not eating alone today. So the best thing to do was order two of my faves at the same time. Judging by how Melvin devoured everything, and enjoyed doing it.



I'd say he was very happy with Pepperoni's, and i'm sure he'll be coming back and joining me for more Pepperoni's in the near future.

No comments: