Thursday, April 27, 2006

Biglagenic

Biglagenic (n) - Something that looks really nice when you look at it initially. Maganda lang sa biglang tingin.

I was quite surprised that Melvin didn't know that term. Growing up, i've seen the "genic" list grow and grow. From the traditional telegenic and photogenic, to the more unforgiving talikodgenic, and my favorite, Shash's jeepnigenic. ("Nung nakita ko siya sa jeep, mukhang guwapo siya...")

For the 2nd time this week, i'm wearing a Biglagenic shirt. The first one was last Sunday when I wore this shirt which was chocolate brown with a faux inner shirt and faux foldable sleeves. I was wearing it for a few hours, and when I looked at myself in the mirror, it hit me that the shirt wasn't as nice looking as I thought. Today, i'm wearing an dark blue, v-neck Abercrombie and Fitch shirt. And despite A&F being a venerated brand, there's a feeling of "this is so wrong" each time I see myself in the mirror wearing this shirt.

Looks like i've been buying a number of Biglagenic shirts recently. Blame it on my penchant of not fitting things. Since i'm in a rush most of the time, or some outlets in HK don't let you try on their shirts, I often rely on my imagination and spatial intelligence to buy shirts. The spatial intelligence part is easy. Most of the shirts I buy fit me quite well. But admittedly, there are shirts that look better on a hanger than a person.

Biglagenic is a problem faced by impulsive shoppers such as myself. Often we don't think about our purchases and rely on instinct. Even if a person's instinct is 96% correct, you still have that 4% error to face. Meaning, for every 96 shirts I have, 4 would be duds.

And out of those 4, I have to wear one of them today.

Ugh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My three recent FCUK purchases are all biglagenic. There's something weird with the shoulder-sleeve part of it... I look lousy when I'm wearing it. Is it me or the clothes? Hmmm... In any case, I did fit them but didn't give a longer criticizing look. Had to snatch em right away since they were on sale. Hahaha!

Dazed and Confused said...

Indeed. We're all guilty of making a biglagenic purchase every so often. And I agree with your observation. FCUK does have weird fitting shirts - particularly the colored and printed ones. The plain black or white shirts fit better, though. My two favorite shirts from FCUK are both black and basic, and they have great quotes up front.

One says:

I don't get out of bed for less than a grand

while the other, to the chagrin of my mom, says:

HOT FCUK