Saturday, April 08, 2006

Clark's Can

This is precisely the reason why it's dangerous for me to go walking around LCX alone. What was supposed to be a random day of meandering turned out into another unnecessary shopping event.


Today, I walked away with 2 pairs of Clark's shoes. Buying these two babies didn't cause me too much guilt because all my leather shoes are back in Manila, and all I have here in Hong Kong are sneakers and track shoes. So this was actually a necessity rather than a whimsical purchase. (Yup, I can justify anything related to shopping.)


Clark's is an english brand of shoes which is a cross between Camper and Doc Marten's. The designs are much more experimental than Doc's, but they're more versatile than Campers. The fit, though, feels more like those wonderful espadrilles my aunt from Spain would send us when we were kids. Wearing these shoes feel like wearing nothing at all. They're both so roomy and soft. I bought a black one, because everyone needs a good pair of black shoes.


Then I opted to buy a brown one, because one can never have too many black and brown shoes. But instead of the dark, chocolate brown variety, this Mahogany colored pair caught me fancy more. The fact that I already have dark brown cowboy boots also led me to purchasing this softer, more versatile color. I also like the uni-strand shoelace which makes the pair look like a slip-on/sneaker hybrid.


What's distinct about Clark's shoes is they put folds in the oddest of places. For the 2 pairs I bought,it was right smack at the center of the shoe, which makes for an interesting detail. In some shoes, the fold and shoelaces are on either side. Those babies are interesting, too, but they weren't available at LCX. And it was a good thing, too. If not, I would have gone home with 4 pairs, rather than 2.

I've got new shoes! And that's another good reason to go back to work on Monday.

No comments: