Thursday, April 13, 2006

Can you tell me how to get...



I'm part of the Sesame Street generation. The generation of kids who grew up with Mr. Hooper, Maria, Luis, David, Susan, Gordon, Bob, Linda, Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Snuffleupagus and Oscar the Grouch. We grew up speaking English and learned words in Spanish. We know why "Witches who wash their wigs on windy, winter wednesdays are wacky!" And we all wanted to buy: "a loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter."

Imagine my utter joy when I passed by the Bossini flagship store at the corner of my house and saw these:



SESAME STREET T-SHIRTS!

Yup, my favorite characters from Sesame Street are now ready to wear! This is most probably an answer to the Disney shirt line that Giordano launched in celebration of HK Disneyland. But no matter what their reasons are for coming up with this, i'm nonetheless thrilled that they're now available.

Faster than you can sing: "It's a lovely eleven morning, i heard eleven worms yawning...", I found myself inside the store and poring throught the racks for designs that are both wacky and wearable. I ended up buying two shirts: The Ernie and Bert shirt that's up there, and the Elmo shirt shown below.



I felt like a giddy kid while bringing these shirts to the cashier, and the person manning the register looked at me in an odd way. I can't blame him because these shirts are supposed to be for kids, but here's a 5'9" tall, 30-ish dude clutching two Sesame Street shirts like they were the most precious things on earth. (By the way, I think they are.)

There were more than 20 designs available but I settled for these 2 first. They were the most "adult" looking shirts, and the colors were neutral enough to go with everything that's in my jean closet right now. I was tempted to buy the cookie monster and oscar the grouch shirts, but the green and blue colors were too garish for my taste. And there was a lovely super Grover shirt, but it was in shocking yellow.

Two out of 20 ain't bad. In fact, it's an accomplishment for a confessed shopaholic like myself. Who knows, I might sneak back in after a few days and get that "The Count" shirt, or the one that features the whole cast. But today, i'm perfectly content with these 2 shirts. And my state of perfect contentment can be best summarized by Elmo's expression on this shirt I purchased.

3 comments:

Michael Pimentel said...

I Love Elmo!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling me how to get to all those places in HK! I truly appreciate all the help and great tips. :-) Are those fresh stocks? Didn't get to see them in any Giordano store during my trip - or maybe I took more sidetrips to Bossini than Giordano. Hmmm... :-) Thanks again! I owe you big time!

Dazed and Confused said...

Hey Keng, The Elmo shirt is one of the more popular ones. According to the sales person in the bossini store near my place, all their Elmo shirts were gone in 2 days.

Hey Mark, the shirts were actually in Bossini and not Giordano. But I suspect they were sold out by the time you were there last Friday. It really went out fast! Let me know the next time your back because there are a lot of other shopping haunts you need to know about.