Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Finding Friendsters

When the concept of "Friendster" was first introduced to me in 2004, I was very, VERY reluctant to jump into the bandwagon. Making and collecting "Friends" over the net was an odd concept, especially when 80% of those people you collect are folks you don't know or you probably won't meet.

Then a good friend of mine found an ingenious way to make me sign up. She left the Philippines to move to another country, and Friendster was the best way for us to keep in touch. So, I found myself having an account sometime late 2004.

In my "profile", I said that I wanted to find long lost friends, particularly "high school chums" because it's been decades since my last visit to LSQC, and I'm only in contact with at least 5 of my batchmates. It really didn't work that well because I was only able to connect with one Lourdesian friend through friendster, and he was someone I saw regularly. So technically, he doesn't count.

Then I opened my account today.

Catherine, one of my classmates in the 3rd and 4th years, found me through the site. I was so excited! Last time I saw her was in 1989, so it's been 15 long years since we last even saw each other's picture. So this is really something worth getting giddy about. Giddily excited if you will. So, I sent her this long-ish message asking about our classmates, where they are, who she's still in contact with, yadda, yadda. There isn't any reply yet, but i'm anxiously waiting for word on our classmates. Or better yet, i'm hoping that through her, my other classmates will find my friendster site, add me, and the section will be complete again.

It might turn out to be just an on-line reunion. But an on-line reunion is much better than no reunion at all.

No comments: