Tuesday, February 28, 2006

ManiLag*

* ManiLag - The same effect as jetlag, but only occurs during my MNL-HKG trips.

This is strange since i've always been immune to jetlag.

My friends from Europe, Mexico and the US have always been amazed at how my body is never caught up in that funk. Surprisingly, my body adapts automatically to my surroundings - whether here or there. One time, I flew about 22 hours from Mexico, arrived in Manila at 1am, then reported to work at 7am. Everyone was amazed at how "Energizer Bunny-ish" I still was the whole day, and they said that the jetlag will kick in after a day or so. But it never did.

But whenever I come back to Hong Kong from Manila, there's this feeling of exhaustion that hangs around for a day or two. This afternoon, Kath came into my room and asked: "Are you alright? You look absolutely tired." My reply was: "I flew in from Manila this morning." She gave that knowing smile and said: "That figures. You're all partied out."

That's partly true. Since my move here, I've noticed that every Manila trip is a race to make every minute of the day count. Everyday is spent trying to see as many friends, go to as many places, watch as many movies, and spend as much quality time with my family. And this usually requires me to wake up very early in the morning, and sleep so late at night. It's as if my system wants to take in as much Manila as it can so it'll survive the next 3 or 4 weeks of seeing nothing but HK.

On a typical homecoming weekend, I wake up at around 6:30am to hang out with my folks, siblings and the little ones. When 10am strikes, and the malls are open, I quickly hie off to my favorite haunts to do some serious window shopping. Must-not miss places include Robinson's Galleria, Ayala Center, Megamall and Greenhills - in that order. Somewhere in between, there's a schedule to meet up with former colleagues, classmates, friends, the Melrose gang, and of course, D' Frendz. Then in the evening, it's movie time. I prefer watching movies here because my eyes don't have to be distracted and contend with the ubiquitous Chinese subtitles. If there are a lot of good movies, I find myself watching 2 to 3 a day, but if not, 1 will suffice, and that's usually during the last full show.

Given this packed schedule, I go home past midnight. That is unless friends still want to meet up for coffee, and that will require me to come home around 2am. The result, an average of 4 hours of sleep a day for the whole weekend. Now, it's no wonder why i'm this exhausted. But of course, I don't mind because there's really no experience like being home. No matter how sophisticated, how modern, or how first world the cities I go to are, there's really no place like Manila.

I feel a song coming...

"Hinahanap-hanap kita Manila, ang ingay mong kay sarap sa tenga.
Mga jeepney nagliliparan, Mga babae mong nag-gagandahan,
take me back in your arms, Manila.
And promise me you'll never let go. Promise me you'll never let go.
Manila. Manila."

Whilst ManiLag leaves me feeling so tired for 2 days, I definitely don't mind subjecting myself to this every week. Feeling tired is one thing, but feeling tired because you spent so many wonderful hours seeing wonderful people and places back home is well worth the exhaustion.

During my trip to Manila 2 weeks ago, I was so ManiLagged that upon arriving home after work, the only thing I was able to do was put down my bag, then it was off to dreamland. That evening, I fell asleep wearing the exact same clothes worn on the trip from MNL to HKG, and the exact same clothes worn to work. That means, that night's sleepwear consisted of a shirt, pullover, jacket, jeans, and hi-cut Chuck Taylors.

Tonight, i'll make sure I change to my boxers and white shirt before I go anwhere near the bed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post. visit the site for the purest cm compound and best service. clephedrone.

joseph taxton said...

like the death of a parent or a divorce for a limited time period, but this isn't considered a psychiatric condition in 4-cmc.