Thursday, February 02, 2006

Lai-See Days...



Here's one good reason to look forward to Chinese New Year in Hong Kong -- Lai Sees!

Lai-See, or Ang Pao in the Philippines, are those little red and gold envelopes that contain money inside. Here in HK, it is customary for married people to give Lai-Sees to their single friends, and in turn, the singletons give the married people good wishes for the coming year. Also, bosses are supposed to give their subordinates a packet for good luck in business. Needless to say, single subordinates have a good reason to wish it were CNY everyday!

I received my first 3 Lai-Sees last night, and another 2 today. Nope, I'm not hoarding major bucks because of this. These babies usually contains a crisp $20 bill, and it can go higher if the person feels generous enough. Unfortunately, i've only been receiving the minimum from the first few ones I got.

I'm hoping to get a couple more, though. And once they're all in and accounted for, I'm also hoping that there's enough Chinese New Year money for me to buy a new pair of jeans this weekend. Once I get my hands on that D Squared dark denim, then it'll really be a Happy New Year!

No comments: