Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Homeboy is now a Handyman

It's been almost a month since I bought my curtain rods, but the search for a good carpenter to install them has been a vain one. There was one very good prospect, a Pinoy handyman, but when he gave me his quote for the project, it simply reeked "i'm cheating you because you look like you've got money to spare."

Last Thursday, I attempted to install the simple vertical fabric blinds from Ikea. Surprisingly, it was quite easy to put up. It took only 2 hooks and 15 minutes before they were up, and my heart was swelling with pride when I looked at the very nice results of my efforts.

It's time to take it to the next level. After debating with myself the past few days, a decision has been made. "Better install the blinds yourself, Lester," was the message from my mind.

And I did.

After making a quick stop at Ikea this lunchtime to buy 2 curtain rods and 3 pairs of curtains, I've decided to install them myself. Definitely, it would be more complex than fabric blinds since i'll be dealing with long steel rods that are heavy and require a lot of screwing. But it was a lazy Sunday, making me stand up to the challenge.

With Kylie Minogue, Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani and Ray Charles in the background, my handyman instincts kicked in and my work began.

Suprisingly, it took only 1 hour to install the curtain rods in my room and in the dining area. My room now has a new curtain rod and new curtains (colored red and yellow, in honor of Mother Spain, hehehe) and the dining area now sports a navy blue with white box curtain. Both have added more sense of "homeness" into my home.

Looks like there's another alternative career waiting for me. I might just have the chops to become a Carpenter. And I don't mean the one that sings "We've only just begun." Though that would be quite nice, too.

No comments: