Saturday, April 17, 2021

Hopia feel it!

"Hopia connoisseur."

That's one of my former students called me after passionately talking about the different types of Hopia I've tasted and which ones are my favourites. She was quite amazed at how my Hopia discussion was akin to talking about the most precious item on Earth.

But there's truth in that since I'm really a huge fan of it. In fact, when I was still living in HKG, I'd cross islands (Kowloon to HKG) just to go to the Filipino stores in Worldwide house to get Hopia. Usually, the MTR fare is more expensive than the Hopia! Go figure.

My feelings for it are tied to my childhood. Whenever Lolo Iking and Lola Dita would go to Ongpin for their usual visit to Po Heng to buy jewelry they'd often bring home packs of Hopia from Holand or Polland. And we'd devour it with gusto.

Growing up, the repertoire expanded to other brands like Marby, Baker's Fair, the freshly cooked hopia at Baker's Kingdom in Rustan's, Salazar, Eng Bee Tin, Bee Bee Tin, among many others.

Later on, I discovered the traditional "Tipas Hopia" which is a mainstay in Jollijeeps in Makati and canteens in Ortigas.

Then eventually, I discovered the Echague Buttercrust Hopia, which is Elsie's fave and eventually became mine, too. Whenever I'd find myself in Trinoma, the Landmark Food Court was a stopover because they had a kiosk there. Eventually, I introduced Echague to the creative team, which they loved as much as I did.


Lately, I found out that they were available for delivery! Which is such a treat because I've been craving for it for quite sometime. In fact, whenever we'd go to Trinoma, I'd pass by the food court to check their kiosk out. (Closed since the start of the CQs. Boo!)

Now, thanks to their Fisher Mall branch, and Pearl and Mayla, this crusty, soft and heavenly item is readily available whenever the cravings hit.

Just like now! (Yup, I had it delivered. So, excuse me while I nosh on some Hopia.)


No comments: