Saturday, December 21, 2013

Dream theme

When coming up with my Christmas wrapper themes, I usually start by looking around wrap shops and looking for designs that call to me. Much like how fabrics call to designers. That's how I ended up with the Etro-inspired design, as well as the Japanese obi design.

On the other hand, there are actually wrapper themes that have I've been wanting to do for years. Themes that I want to do, but never found the right wrapper to do it with. And I always hope to find a design that would turn that dream theme into a reality.

Well, one of them is becoming a reality this year.

It all started with this Paul Smith stripe looking wrapper which I had to scour 4 National Bookstore branches for. I liked the simplicity of the design, and the play of colors. I was actually ready to use this wrapper as it was since I've always been partial to stripes.


A few weeks later, while passing through St. Francis Square, I saw a stall that was selling this gold dotted wrapper. After seeing it, I remembered how I've always wanted to do a "dots and stripes" theme. In my head, it would be striped wrapping paper and dotted ribbons, but after seeing this wrapper, I knew I could re-do that concept into something cooler.

 

Taking the colors from the two wrappers, I went to Divisoria to buy ribbons that would echo the hues. I ended up buying rolls of satin ribbon in brown, wine and blue.


What did I end up doing? I started by wrapping the gift using the striped wrapper. I had to make sure that the stripes were aligned all the way to the back. Then, I took a strip of the dotted wrapper, and placed it at the center of the gift. This created an interesting contrast between the two patterns.

 
Then, I designed a tag which has the colors of the ribbon, the pattern of the wrapper, and a cute little Christmas solider for added quirkiness.


With all the elements in place, the "dots and stripes" wrapping theme that I've always dreamed of is now a reality.

And that's a wrap!

No comments: