Monday, November 30, 2009

Runway Wrap-up

The past few seasons, different designers have been mixing prints and incorporating them into collections. Gone is the old fashion philosophy that you can only mix prints with solids. Now, designers and their respective labels have been embracing the print-on-print philosophy. And some fashion houses have even turned it into their signature style.

Etro is one such house.



Known for their penchant for mixing bold, kaleidoscopic patterns, Etro's designers - Kean and Veronica - have broken a lot of rules and came up with clever and visually stimulating fashion. While I was still in HKG, I'd enjoy passing through Lane Crawford to see the Etro racks and displays and enjoy the visual feast.



And this inspired me to come up with this year's Christmas wrapping theme: "Print on Print."



I've been eyeing this pretty black damask wrapper but wasn't sure if I'd buy it because it felt plain. In fact, I asked about it three times, but never got around to buying it. But on a routine trip to Carolina's, I saw a roll of black and white plaid ribbon, and that sparked the idea for this year's theme.



The colors are from the same family so they play off each other nicely. And since the intensity of the prints vary, it blends well and isn't such an eyeful.



After wrapping the first gift, I'm very pleased with the results. I'm just trying to figure out whether is should keep all gifts in the black and white color range or if I should try and do the same concept in purple. Whichever execution I decide to pursue, at least I've got the concept down pat.

And that's a wrap.

2 comments:

Kiten said...

I usually find pattern-on-pattern shabby, but the choice of black makes it very classy. Nice Holiday '09 theme!

Dazed and Confused said...

Thanks. One thing I learned was to keep the patterns in one color family to make it more appealing.