Saturday, December 14, 2013

Underdogs, Overjoyed

One of the things that give me most satisfaction as an educator is seeing my students surpass their capabilities and their expectations.

When one of my thesis groups talked to me about being their thesis adviser, they had a common and simple goal: "Sir, pumasa lang kami, okay na."

They had a great topic, and they were very determined and creative students. So, I knew they could go way beyond the goal they set for themselves. But I didn't want to push them too hard lest they feel pressured, so I let them work at their own pace, and nudged them every step of the way. Slowly, I saw their thesis improve, I saw it as it became more polished, and all the more, I felt confident that they'll do more than just "pumasa lang kami."

After one final rally, we were able to fix the powerpoint presentation a few hours before their actual defense. A few minutes before their big presentation, I huddled them and told them that they had this in the bag, and all they needed to do was own it.

Once the defense was done and the panel deliberated, the group got a grade of A-, and they qualified as an entry for best thesis. And hearing the panel announce the grade gave me great satisfaction because they did surpass their capabilities and their expectations.

Not bad for a group had a simple and common goal of: "Sir, pumasa lang kami, okay na."


No comments: