Thursday, December 26, 2013

Box it like the Brits

For as long as I became familiar with the term "Boxing day," I've always wondered what it really meant.

For the Brits, December 26 - the day after Christmas - is better known as Boxing day. When I researched about it, there were different explanations why it's called such, and most reasons centered on a Christmas box that was given out as a present after Christmas day.

When I was living in HKG, I asked a British friend her definition was. She said that while they were growing up, the day carried that term because it was the day when they'd box all the Christmas paraphernalia and other holiday-related trash that they amassed the day before.

It was an unglamorous definition, but it was a logical one.

So today, I'll do this British thing and declare my own

No comments: