Sunday, June 02, 2013

This bugs me

Three years ago, I wrote about how The Bar went over and copied Britney Spears' fragrance ad for their apple variant. It not only showed lack of creativity, but also a bit of laziness on the part of the creative people behind it.

Last week, I had a bit of a deja vu when I saw this particular ad.


This was a digital ad that promoted the Midnight sale of Ayala Malls. The visual device they used were insects that were made of different articles of clothing and accessories. For example, the bug on the above photo is made up of bags, bracelets and some eyeglass frames, methinks.

The same visual device was mirrored in their other materials, including their billboards and posters.


What struck me is that their campaign looks eerily similar to the current Louis Vuitton campaign.


Yes, their campaign consists of insects made up of Louis Vuitton items, such as bags, bracelets and scarves. And this is mirrored in their other materials.


Again, it might be coincidental, or it just might be plain laziness on the part of the agency. Whatever the reason is, I must say that this lack of fresh ideas really bugs me.

No comments: