Tuesday, November 17, 2009

You are nothing but a second-rate, trying hard...

Copycat!



The moment I saw the poster version of this ad at the LRT station, I knew it looked very, very, VEEEEERRRRRY familiar. And true enough, I found out why the ad triggered something in my mind. It's because of this:



Being in the advertising business for more than a decade, I know that there are times when creative people are "inspired" by other ads they see. Other times, they use pegs that they find from other sources, and use that as a basis for a certain pose, look, etc.

But my gosh! This one is just plain copying! I'm not sure if it was the client who dictated that they use that ad as basis, or if the agency just ran out of ideas. Look at the ads side by side, and it's easy to see my point.




The hair part, the styling, the colorization, even the positioning of the hands - there wasn't any original thought infused into the material. They didn't even make an effort to divert from the "peg" by one bit.

Oh well, so much for creativity.

But honestly, I don't know which bothers me more. The fact that a creative directly copied an ad from an already published material, or the fact that they desecrated Britney by using Angelica to mimic her.

I think it's the latter.

No comments: