Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Connect/Disconnect

Unlike most people who can't live without technology - can't live without facebook and can't live without changing their status every hour, can't help but tweet and instagram - I'm actually quite technologically detached. Whether it's the internet or the mobile phone, I'd rather not engage in them unless I really need to.

That's why my facebook is - as some of my students tell me - "walang kagana-gana." Unlike a lot of people I know who feel the need to give everyone a blow-by-blow account of their lives on facebook, I'd rather keep my life to myself.

I find that the more that I disconnect from technology, the more I can connect to people around me.

This is the reason why I enjoy my trips to Tokyo. It's one of those perfect moments to disconnect and connect. Disconnect because my phone doesn't work in Japan, so I don't receive any calls nor texts. When I was in Tokyo last June, I had no phone contact for 2 weeks! And that was bliss!

Connect because I get to spend more time with Mark. Eventhough we've been to Tokyo many times, there's always something new to discover - whether it's a place, restaurant, shop or experience. Getting to feel it first hand - rather than just reading about it on the internet or facebook - makes for a richer experience.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Tokyo again for a few days of connecting/disconnecting. And it's a great way to spend the Holy Week.

No comments: