Thursday, March 28, 2013

A song for Holy Thursday

After dinner, Mark and I decided to watch a Lenten movie in remembrance of Holy Thursday. 

Searching on the internet, there were the usual suspects such as "Ben Hur," "Jesus of Nazareth," "Jesus Christ Superstar," and "The Ten Commandments."

Then, there were some unusual choices such as "The Notebook." (Yes, the Nicholas Sparks weeper.)

We settled for this 1943 classic about St. Bernadette Soubirous, "The Song of Bernadette."


Having seen this for the first time, both Mark and I agreed that was a wonderful film. The writing was beautifully done. The acting was top-notch. (Jennifer Jones won the Oscar for best actress in 1943.) And the film gave us an insight on the life of a Saint that I've always been interested about. Her innocence, her simplicity, and the politics surrounding her visions.

Maybe part of it is because I'm a Lourdesian, and our teachers were always centered on Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Bernadette. Another part of it might be the fact that I've always been interested in St. Bernadette's incorrupt body. (Which I tried to see in Nevers, but the Cathedral was closed the time I went there.)

Seeing this film again awakened that interest once again. I think I'll be watching this film again. And I also think I'll attempt to go to France once more and try to see St. Bernadette in the flesh.

No comments: