Monday, March 25, 2013

Changing of the Guardians

When I was in grade school, I'd often be an acolyte during our masses. When the intentions were being recited by the priest, he'd usually say:

"Together with John Paul, our Pope, Jaime, our bishop, and all the clergy..."

A decade or so later, with the passing of Jaime Cardinal Sin, the line recited by the priest was:

"Together with John Paul, our Pope, Gaudencio, our bishop, and all the clergy..."

When Pope John Paul II passed away, the line once again changed to:

"Together with Benedict, our Pope, Honesto, our bishop, and all the clergy..."

During last week's mass, the line was again changed to acknowledge our new Pope, saying:

"Together with Francis, our Pope, Honesto, our bishop, and all the clergy..."

On my way home, I couldn't help but think that I've seen the changing the guardians of the Catholic Church - the Pope and our Archbishop - twice. Which is quite an extraordinary and inspiring feeling.

Aside from the feeling that I must really be getting old.

No comments: