Thursday, February 07, 2013

Debutante diaries 1: Material world

In 2 months time, one of my nieces - Alex - will be celebrating her birthday. Both my sisters are involved in the preparations in one shape or form, so they're definitely attending this grand shindig. (I've never had the chance to attend any of Alex's parties.)

Needless to say, Ate Bullet's first question was: What am I going to wear?

Her theme is "Disney Princesses," and thankfully, guests aren't asked to come in as fairy tale characters. The only guideline that our Tita gave them was that there shouldn't be any dark colors, and they'd prefer pastel outfits. 

So, off to the fabric archive I went and found two sets of fabrics that would look awesome and appropriate for the debut.

Here's the first set, which I call the "Cool Corals." It's composed of a combination of charmeuse and dobby georgette in coral, and a silk fabric in an abstract pattern.


When I saw this, I knew that the printed fabric would be the focal point of the dress. It's just so eye-catching and current.

The second is what I termed "Girlie Garden." It's pink charmeuse, beige tulle and a pretty silk fabric with a floral watercolor motif.


The first time I saw this fabric, it reminded me of Prada's "Faerie" collection. How's that for alignment with the theme. It's dainty without being to saccharine, which is very appropriate for Ate Lissa.


Now that the materials are all chosen and set, time to figure out what to do with it.

No comments: