Monday, May 09, 2011

They've got the moves!

Two of my nephews had their dance recital tonight. Their summer enrichment activity for this year was a dance class with G-Force.



It was fun to see them on-stage with a host of other teens dancing their hearts away. You could see that some of them really had the passion to dance. Their recital was one fast-paced, heart-pumping dance number after another. And never have I sat through an entire dance concert before. Ah yes, the things I do for my nephews.







I couldn't help but remember our younger years when we would dance during summer as well. But during our youth, we'd do the breakdance. Biboy was very good at the strut and other breakdance acrobatics. I was really good at doing "the worm," which was one of the breakdance-moves-du-jour. Meanwhile, Ate Lissa and Ate Bullet would be performing "Rock the Boat" on stage with our other cousins from Bicol. But being the "Manila girls", my sisters were undoubtedly the stars.

We'd even have dance concerts in Morato. The neighborhood kids would all group together and practice our own routines, then we'd set a date and have the concert at the Dela Merced's garage. It would be complete with lights, mobile, food and drinks - it was a major party. In one "dance concert", I remember dancing Toni Basil's "Street Beat" with a group of neighbors, then "Heart and Soul" by Hall and Oates which I did with Ate Bullet. (Albeit impromptu.)

And this "dance fever" goes all the way up to the first generation. My Mom is an avid ballroom dancer, and because Dad isn't the dancing type, she would pick my Tito Linden - Dad's youngest brother - as her partner. Yup, Mom is the quintessential dancing queen.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not surprised that my nephews really have "the moves." It looks like the dancing blood runs in the family.

No comments: