Sunday, May 01, 2011

A blessed encounter



As the world rejoices in honor of the beatification of Pope John Paul II, I can't help but smile and remember my "close encounter" with Blessed John Paul.

It was in 1995. World Youth Day was being held in Manila, and I was on my first job. Some of my colleagues asked me if I wanted to join the Yuppeace (Young Urban Professionals for Peace), and I obliged.

After bonding at work, my friends and I would continue bonding in the evening as we attended practices for Yuppeace. We went to Don Bosco to discuss duties, logistics, as well as practice singing "Tell the World of His love," complete with choreography.

On the actual World Youth Day, we found ourselves at the Quirino Grandstand along with millions of the young faithful. Sometime in the afternoon, they said that the Pope was coming to the area and the route of the Pope mobile would pass by Roxas Boulevard. Faster than you can say "Totus Tuus", people ran to Roxas Boulevard and the area was packed.

We were at the very back end of the crowd, and no amount of neck craning could allow us to see the road. So, I gave up and thought that I wouldn't see the Pope.

Then suddenly, I heard sirens and whirrs from behind me. The crowd was facing the wrong side of the road! And the Pope Mobile was on my side of the road!

When I turned around, I saw the Pope just a few feet away from me. I could see him clearly from the glass. He looked so happy and peaceful, and I was equally happy and peaceful to have seen him up close.

It's been more than 15 years since that day, but I still remember it as if it were just yesterday.

No comments: