Friday, May 20, 2011

A souls-ful Friday

Instead of the usual 80s pop ditties that herald the arrival of Friday, I've decided to go back to the 90s, and feature a song from one of my favorite animated films.

"The Little Mermaid" is a long time favorite of mine. I first read the original by Hans Christian Andersen as an elementary school boy, then I watched the original animated feature on one episode of "Tales from Hans Christian Andersen." The original one was darker and didn't have a conventional happy ending.

When I saw the Disney version, I fell in love with the story all over again. Aside from the fact that the ending wasn't as sad as the original one, the music also helped greatly in endearing me to the story.

Of course, "Part of your world" is my favorite song from the lot. But I'm not playing that one today. What's in my mind is the song that comes a close second:



I remember how one of my college classmates started crying when Ariel was singing and Ursula was collecting her voice. There was so much emotion in her song and so much evil in Ursula's laughter.

What made this song so incomparable is Ursula's voice. She has the sass and attitude of a black singer. Plus, her voice really does have a lot of soul.

Maybe it's because of all the souls she collected.

No comments: