Monday, November 02, 2009

The Blair Bitch Project

Blair Waldorf is one of the reasons why Gossip Girl is such a hit. In fact, I ADORE Blair (And I'm not just saying that because I technically work for her. Harhar.)



She's a very polarizing character. Some people hate her for being such a bitch, while some people love her for that innate feisty-ness and those memorable lines. (My recent favorite was a line that Blair told Lily Bass: "Where did you learn to give pep talks? Guantanamo Bay?")

The great thing about Blair is that she blurs the line between villain and victim. When she's being bad, you can't help but hate her. But when she's being pounced on, you immediately feel sorry for her. And when Season 3 started, she's been pounced on again and again and again. Sometimes I just want to go inside the screen and give her a big hug.

And speaking of bitchy Blairs, I'm reminded of my other favorite bad girl Blair - Blair Warner from "Facts of Life." Well, she wasn't exactly evil, but compared to her goody two shoe friends, she's the baddest of the bunch.



Hmmm... now that I'm thinking about it, "Facts of Life" and "Gossip Girl" had a lot in common. They were set in private schools, there were cliques, they both had resident tomboy-ish hotties, and, of course, the presence of Blair.

The scriptwriters of Gossip Girl should bring back the old Blair soon. I'm beginning to miss her. While they're at it, can they do something about Chuck's signature scowl? It's beginning to look tired.

No comments: