Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Slim's chance

Yesterday, they opened the Slim's exhibit at the National Museum of the Filipino people. For the longest time, Slim's was just a name on a school that I'd see every so often. Later on, I found out that "Slim's" is the shortened version of the founder's name, "Salvacion Lim-Higgins."

She was one of the foremost female designers of her time, and she dressed up all the A-listers in old Manila. This included first ladies, actresses, diplomats, and society's creme de la creme. Slim's was an adventurer who traveled to Paris alone to watch fashion shows - this was during that era when women weren't allowed to travel without their chaperones. Indeed, she was very unconventional and daring.

And her sense of daring reflected on the clothes she created. Each one was masterfully created, beautifully crafted, and went beyond the norm of that era. Just like this terno which had origami details and a deliciously unusual silhouette.



I've always told myself that should they have an exhibit of her work, I'd definitely drop by and watch it. Looks like I now have that chance.

No comments: