Tuesday, May 26, 2009

This Prada is Nada

Swung by Greenhills to do some banking chores today, and decided to drop by the tiangge near Virra Mall. Previously, I found some stalls there selling some great overruns, including some high end brands. Among them was a DVF dress that I saw in the DVF store in HKG, then saw it in Greenhills a few days after. (And no, I didn't buy that.)

One stall caught my eye because they were carrying really nice dresses. Upon closer look, I found out that they were premium brands: Moschino, Pucci, Oscar de la Renta, etc.

Then a familiar dress caught my eye. It was a tunic dress with a scarf-like print and the waist and neckline were both gathered. I checked it out and saw the brand "Prada", then asked the sales lady how much it was. She confidently (and without batting an eyelash) replied: "P6,000 po yan."

I was floored! The reason why I asked was because I saw this exact same dress at the Landmark bazaar area a few months back. And how much was it at the Landmark? It was
P300.00! Gosh! Someone actually had the gall to get a cheap dress, put a Prada label on it, and sell it a gazillion times more expensive.

Of course, some people might say that the dress at the Landmark might be an unbranded Prada. But I don't think Prada would ever do anything as ghetto-looking as that dress. Honestly, anyone from Divisoria can make that. Or sell it.

Really. I think it's stupid to do something like that. I just hope no one is even more stupid to think that's a real Prada and buy it.

2 comments:

Ferdinand de Ocampo said...

Ah... sir, what do you mean by "yo soy destraido"? Are you sure you got the spelling right? Just curious.
Distraught in spanish means distraido. Confused is confundido. Just curious sir. But all in all you are a great writer and a fashion guru. I admire your technique.

Dazed and Confused said...

Hi there. In Mexican slang, "Destraido" means confused in a head-spinning, out-of-whack kind of way. The thing with Spanish is that it has many permutations, which also leads to confusion.

Thanks for dropping by and nos vemos!