Monday, May 04, 2009

Floatation Device

Rootbeer floats have been my favorite since A&W were still doing business in Manila. Whenever I see a Rootbeer float on a restaurant's menu, I make it a point to try it out.

Burger King has a Sarsi Float, which is the nearest you can get to the rootbeer variety. But there's one thing that keeps me from ordering it - the fact that they put lots of ice in the soda. McDonald's and other fast food joints do the same thing. And although I know that I can request them to remove the ice (and the chocolate syrup which is just too much), I just opt not to order the drink.

Today, I decided to give the Sarsi Float a try. And true to Burger King's motto that customers can "Have it your way," I told the crew member to skip the ice and the chocolate syrup. Then, she told me if she can put a little bit of ice, and my reply was to the negative. She then asked if she can put just a teeny weeny bit of ice, and to this I replied: "Why? Is it important?"

Apparently it is. She explained that the ice keeps the whole float from overflowing and bubbling up to a big mess. Like an expert, she told me that the ice absorbs some of the fizz and carbonation that happens whenever ice cream meets soda. And that's the reason why ice is important.

Gosh, I always thought that they only put ice to create the illusion of more soda. As it turns out, ice is actually a device in the entire Sarsi float equation.

I learned something new today. Cool.

No comments: