Thursday, January 08, 2009

Scary Carrie

No, this isn't about my favorite - and often written about - singer, Carrie Underwood.

Since I've been hooked on the song "I never dreamed someone like you would want someone like me", I couldn't help but remember the film where the song came from.

"Carrie" must've been one of the scariest films of its time. If you watch it from the beginning, it feels like one of those "odd girl out" films like "Mean Girls" and "Pretty in Pink." But once the horror factor of the movie kicks in, the chills follow en masse. And the crescendo, the final "prom night" scene.



And if you think the horror stops there, leave it to De Palma to add a bit more haunting scenes in the end of the film.



This film had a sequel of sorts in 2002. I remember because I was handling the UIP account back then and "Carrie 2" was one of the projects I worked on.

Despite the wealth of visual effects of the sequel, it still doesn't compare to the bare bones, simple yet stunning horror storytelling of the first one.

No comments: