Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sales (ladies) Talk

The past week, I've had a couple of very, verrrry interesting experiences regarding salesladies in different malls. Surprisingly, these were pleasantly positive experiences, and not the usual "lady-who-follows-you-around-incessantly" or "lady-who-doesn't-even-bother-to-check-before-saying-it's-out-of-stock" kind of stories.

In fact, when I recounted these experiences to friends, I had that look of wide eyed wonder instead of the scoffing that usually follows saleslady stories. Among those experiences, these 2 are most noteworthy.

THE SALESLADY FROM METRO GAISANO

Who would have thought this department store has such fashionable shoes? There was a pair of yellow and black patent shoes that look like they just popped out of the pages of InStyle. Seeing that it would be perfect for Ate Bullet, I called the saleslady and asked if they have it in size 40. She left for the stockroom, and came back with the pair I asked for.

I thought of doing a "Grace" and put my quality control skills to the test. After examining the pair closely, I noticed a scratch on the right shoe. So, I pointed it out to the lady and she immediately went to the stockroom to get another pair.

She re-emerged with another box, and some bad news.

SALESLADY: Sir, wala na pong size 40 nung yellow and black. Ang meron lang po, itong fuschia and black. (removes pair from box and shows me.)
ME: Are you sure?
SALESLADY: Opo sir. Dinouble check ko na po and last piece na yan. Ito po, sir. Tignan niyo na rin.

She handed me the fushcia and black pair, and after examining it, they didn't have the oomph of the yellow and black one. Not wanting to give it up (especially since it was the last one), I ignored the small scratch.

ME: Sige, itong yellow and black na lang ang kukunin ko.

At that point, the saleslady looked at me, folded her arms across her chest, tilted her head up with a hint of pride, and said:

SALESLADY: Well, I don't blame you. Mas maganda naman talaga ang yellow and black.
ME: (silenced)

SALESLADY FROM MANGO IN TRINOMA

This didn't happen to me, but I was in the vicinity of the saleslady and the other customer.

CUSTOMER: (rummaging through a pile of jeans) Wala ba kayong pang-lalaki?
SALESLADY: Wala po, Ma'am. Globally, Mango is known as a woman's brand, so hindi po kami nag-ca-carry ng men's clothing. Although sa Spain po, nag-introduce na sila ng men's line for Mango, pero hindi ko ho alam if we'll carry it here.
CUSTOMER: Ah, ganon ba.
ME FROM AFAR: (silenced)

Hmmmm... the quality of our salesladies are improving. Someone send them to SM so they can train those girls how to do it right.

No comments: