Saturday, August 09, 2008

Economies of Sale

Fast fashion and high street brands usually have simultaneous sales around Asia. When they put up the "sale" sign in front of Zara in Glorietta, I know that they're unfurling the same beautiful sign in front of stores in IFC, Emporium, Ngee Ann City and in Shinjuku.

When I was in Tokyo last July, people were scampering inside Zara because the sale had begun. As much as I wanted to join in the fray, I didn't. I'd be in HKG a few days after, so it would be better to shop there. It turned out to be a wise decision.

This afternoon, Mark and I went to Trinoma and we found ourselves - coincidentally - in front of Zara. To find out whether my loot from HKG is cheaper here than there, I decided to check out the place. The TRF jeans were more or less priced the same - the difference being a negligible P20-P50. But the Zara Collection dresses were way, way cheaper in HKG - by half! Realizing how much my savings were made me smile with pride.

Meanwhile at Mango, the sale items in Manila are cheaper than HKG. There was this floral frock designed by Penelope and Monica Cruz that I was eyeing at Gateway a few weeks back. Thinking it would be cheaper in HKG, I decided not to buy it yet. But after seeing the same dress at their store in IFC, it turned out to be around HK$80 more expensive. That HK$80 is enough to buy another shirt or two. Needless to say, I passed on that one. (I hope that dress is still available at Gateway.)

These realizations allowed me to look at my sale trip from an economic perspective. The savings I got from shopping in HKG was enough to cover the price of the ticket and food for the entire trip. Ergo, the whole exercise of going there and raiding the malls was worth it. Economically.

Then again, maybe this is just me justifying my actions.

No comments: