Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Closed to you

As I told Ron, this is the first time I've experienced something like this in HKG.

There's a storm in town (Igme, probably) and the typhoon signal has been raised. As a precautionary measure, everything is closed! The bank - which is the reason why I'm here - is closed. Malls are closed. Coffee shops are closed. Supermarkets are closed! Thankfully, McDonald's and 7-11 are still open. It's so comforting to know that some things in this world stay the same.

Looking around me, all I could see were closed metal doors, glass panes with big X marks made of packaging tape, small tree branches littered along the pavement, and empty streets. Yup, HKG looks like a ghost town today. The place looks emptier than it does on Chinese New Year. (The emptiest season of the year.)

In fairness, the rains are quite strong. This morning, I stepped out to buy breakfast across the road. By the time I got to the other side, by clothes were semi-drenched! And to think I was carrying a huge golf umbrella. Sheesh!

Making matters worse, I've planned the entire day today like clockwork. Now, it's as if my clock ran out of batteries and just stopped.

Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day.

No comments: