Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Travel Light

When I picked Prichy up at the airport this weekend, my first question was: "Where's the rest of your luggage?"

There were 3 of them and they were each carrying a small backpack and a plastic bag. Initially, I thought they parked their suitcases somewhere while they roamed the airport. Imagine my surprise when they told me: "This is everything."

I've heard of traveling light, but this takes it to an entirely new level. Heck, I often bring along my Samsonite carry-on suitcase for a weekend in Manila, and I consider that packing light already. But seeing what Prichy brought for the weekend made my suitcase look like a pack of pachyderms.

Surprisingly though, they brought everything they needed in those small bags: clothes for the entire trip, toiletries, even a bunch of pasalubong that someone asked them to bring. She even brought some books and a journal along with her. All in 3 little bags. (Obviously, I can't get over this. Harhar.)

When they left yesterday, they were still able to fit everything in those 3 bags. But they were also lugging along some plastic bags filled with stuff they shopped for. Despite that, they managed to carry less than what I usually do.

It's one of two things: One, Prichy has an ingenious way of packing stuff that I have yet to learn, or two, the bags they carry have these magical secret compartments that expand and hide kilos and kilos of luggage magically.

I reckon it's the latter.

No comments: