Monday, February 18, 2008

In the Navy



There was a time when Old Navy was synonymous to basic clothing at uber affordable prices. Whenever I'd go to the US, my first destination would be Old Navy because it's where I can get the most bang for my buck. Imagine, they have shirts for 99 cents and jeans for $5.00. Heck, I could buy an entire outfit for $10.00!

But as the adage goes, you get what you pay for. Whilst they're affordable, the clothes at ON are basic. The usual cotton graphic shirts and loose fitting pants - nothing too stylish and often worn under more fashionable pieces like an American Apparel hoodie or Diesel jeans.

It's been a while since I visited ON, or their site. So when I did log on today, I was shell-shocked at what I saw! Old Navy is upping their style ante.

From the usual jersey dresses and bland linen shirts, they've now come up with fashion-forward prints (Global motifs such as the one in their wrap dress is currently the rage on the catwalks), and interesting silhouettes. (The safari dress is so "Out of Africa.")




I reckon this is their answer to the entry of European fast fashion labels in the U.S. Heck, Gap even hired Patrick Robinson to be their head designer, and they have a limited European collection. This is an indication that they really mean business. Makes me wonder who's the head designer for ON these days, because he or she is definitely doing a good job in making the brand young and stylish.

Yup, the Navy's going to put up a fight against the Zaras and H&Ms.

No comments: