Sunday, February 17, 2008

Japan's Parc Gruell

Thanks to Kent, we discovered this awesome place tucked away in the suburb of Mitaka.



We went to Studio Ghibli Museum to buy a mug that Kent was collecting. Initially, I was just planning to go there to buy the mug and not tour the museum at all. As it turns out, the museum shop is inside the museum, so we had to buy tickets and really tour the place. And boy, I'm sure glad we did.

Parc Gruell in Barcelona is a tribute to the genius of Antonio Gaudi's architectural vision. When you're there, you feel like you're in a fantasy world and you easily lose yourself in the surroundings. Similarly, Ghibli Museum is a tribute to the geniuses behind Studio Ghibli - the animation studio that produced some of the most memorable Japanese animated films. Among them are Mark's favorites - My neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away and Tales of the Earthsea.

The moment Mark and I stepped into the museum, it felt like we were in a fantasy world. Old-style elevators, winding staircases, small doors that lead to big rooms - it was one big playhouse where the imagination can go wild. As much as we would've wanted to take pictures of the fascinating interiors, cameras weren't allowed. Thank goodness I have snapshots of the place in my mind.

Good thing the exterior was as breathtaking as the interior. The shape, color and material of the structure really feels like Parc Gruell. I think I've found my little piece of Barcelona in North Asia.



We stayed there for more than 2 hours - exploring, watching a short animated film about a whale, and of course, taking a photo with the Iron Giant. I'm glad that the weather was very cooperative that day. Nothing sets off a giant bronze statue than clear, blue skies.



I'm glad that Kent asked me to buy him that mug.

No comments: