Wednesday, February 20, 2008

More firsts

My latest Japan sojourn marked the first time I set foot in Ueno. Although I've been in Japan a number of times, I've never ventured to this part of Tokyo. That said, there are only two things I know about Ueno: (1) It's the first stop of the Joetsu Shinkansen that goes to Urasa, and (2) It's the place with a big Filipino store where the IUJ people buy Green Mung Beans.

Factoid number 2 is the precise reason why Mark and I headed off to Ueno last week - Hazel was asking him to buy "monggo." So after our trip to Mitaka, we took the Yamanote Line and found ourselves here:



Ueno is such a refreshing change from the cosmopolitan environs of Shinjuku and Shibuya. With its maze of markets, street stalls and food stands, I felt like walking into Mong Kok or Chatuchak. Honestly, I never expected to see a "tiangge" set-up in Tokyo, that's why this was a pleasant surprise and definitely a highlight of the trip.

I loved the Asian supermarkets that sold everything from Chinese preserved fruits to Indonesian Shrimp chips to Japanese Rice Crackers. Of course, I had to control myself and not grab everything that caught my fancy because if I did, I'd probably walk away from Ueno carrying 5 bags! (Went back to the hotel with 2, though.)

Aside from Hazel's order, Mark and I were able to buy Wonka Chocolates, Coconut milk and sweet rice crackers (much like Peanut Brittle, but using Rice crackers instead of peanuts.) We also ate Takoyaki balls at this place which I assumed was uber popular because of the crowd.

Plus, we got free Ferrero chocolates from this lady giving it away by the box! Strangely, people weren't too interested and ignored the freebie. Heck, if this happened in HK or Manila, the queue would've been major league long.

It's amazing how I missed this place during my earlier visits to Tokyo. Anyone who's into shopping and gets a high visiting Tiangges should mark this place as a "must-visit." It might not be as hip and classy as Shibuya or Ginza, but it definitely makes it up for it with variety. (And price!)

Another first on this trip was our first time to eat at Royal Host.



Whenever we're in Japan, our restaurants du jour would be Mos Burger, Saizeriya, Denny's, Jonathan's, Fridays, and McDonald's. (Of course!) While on the bus from Urasa to Ikebukuro, we passed by Royal Host and told Mark that we haven't tried that place yet. So that evening, we had dinner there.

The food is pretty much like Jonathan's and Saizeriya, and the ambience is pretty much the same. This type of restaurant is probably Japan's version of the American Diner or HK's Cafe de Coral. But I'm glad we had dinner there because it's always good to try something new. (And their Clubhouse Sandwich was good!)

I think it's awesome how each visit to Japan yields so many "firsts." That makes each visit feel like the first one.

No comments: