Sunday, November 25, 2007

Wrap Star

For the past 7 years or so, I've been wrapping my Christmas gifts thematically. As such, deciding how to wrap the presents take as much time as deciding what to give whom. Last year's theme was "Christmas Riches" and "White Christmas." My friends thought "White Christmas" was more "White Wedding." Harhar.

Among the lot, the two best received themes were: 1. "A Chinese Christmas" when gifts were wrapped in Chinese newspaper and tied with a red ribbon and a red card with an oriental motif, and " 2. Now and Zen" where I adapted an almost Japanese minimalism, silver wrapper and a black ribbon. The latter had to be adapted to some of my Chinese friends, though. Since black is a no-no, I used silver ribbons on some gifts.

This year, I've been going from one paper shop to another in search for the perfect holiday wrapping - and theme. Going to my usual haunts: Papyrus, Marks & Sparks, Ikea and Toys R Us, brought forth a lot of inspiration. And after distilling all the information in my head, and studying the feasibility and possibilities, the theme has been decided.

The theme for this year's Christmas wrapping: "Glam Christmas!"



I started with a deep purple wrapper with a rich pattern. The moment I saw the wrapper at Ikea, it reminded me of glamorous fabrics that are usually turned into dresses by designers who are very much into print. (DVF comes to mind first, I don't know why.)



Then, I've added deep purple and burgundy ribbons. These are the usual fashion colors for the holiday season (Natalie Portman was wearing a burgundy dress on the December issue of InStyle) But in keeping with the color scheme of the wrapper, purple was the dominant hue.



Finally, to cap off the "glam" concept, I added a silver key ring as accent. This particular one has silver snowflakes with a bit of bling. It has that quiet glamour that works with the first two elements. Unfortunately, they only had a limited number of these key rings, so they'll only be used in a limited number of presents. (Limited Edition wrapping, anyone?)

I've finished wrapping my first two gifts, and am very happy with the results. Can't wait to give these away.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Oh my, you are so in-season!! Purple is hot hot hot!