Thursday, February 08, 2007

Un-Fare


Lunch today was spent at Pacific Place Mall, thanks to a sudden craving for Pad Thai. Although there are a lot of nice Thai places around the office, including the "Thai-bedroom kitchen" which serves awesome Som Tam, I sometimes crave for Thai food and retail therapy at the same time. And this is the best place to get both. After all, Pacific Place houses Seibu, Great, Cavalli, Zara, Hong Kong Records, FCUK, among others.

Once I got to Food Fare - the mall's food court - a distressing sign caught my eye. It was an announcement saying that Food Fare will be closing on February 16, and it will take them more than 6 months to re-open! Agh! The "renovation monster" has struck again. Hong Kong loves renovating everything so much that a shop that was there last week can be gone today. A restaurant that serves your favorite dry noodles can be closed and replaced by a DVD store on your next visit.

And now, the place that serves my favorite Pad Thai will be closed in a week's time. How can you do this, Food Fare? How can you do this, Pacific Place? Now that's one less place for me to eat in.

The girl at Patong Thai told me that they have another branch - just in case the craving becomes too much to handle. But alas, that branch is in Kowloon Tong! I don't think it's wise to travel for an hour during lunch time for a bowl of noodles - no matter how good those noodles are.

Oh well, change is the only constant thing here in Hong Kong, so I better just fact the fact that my lunch routine will begin changing as well.

No comments: