Thursday, February 08, 2007

Sudden warmth

"El tiempo loco."

This is what we used to call Monterrey because of its sudden changes in temperature. Sometimes, it's 15 degrees in the morning then it's 40 degrees at noon. That often gave me a headache, and made me run to the nearest mall for cover. It wasn't all bad, though. Thanks to this crazy weather, I became better acquainted with Dona Tota's Gorditas.


This is the Pollo y sarsa Pibil Gorditas that I craved for everyday. These little bombs are one of the best things about my stay in Mexico. Gosh, I miss my Gorditas, but that deserves to be written about separately.

I'm ranting about the weather today.

After the 2-week chill where we saw the weather average around 11 degrees, it's suddenly warm here in Hong Kong. I think it was around 25 degrees this afternoon, and the sun was up and shining. Honestly, it was a beautiful day. The skies were blue and it reflected on the blue water on the harbour. But after getting used to 11 for more than a month, 25 was just a bit of a shock.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night because it was too warm in the room. I was wearing pajama pants and a long sleeved sleep shirt - my uniform for the past 2 months or so. But the warmth forced me to change clothes, and since I was half-asleep, the simplest solution was chucking my top and sleeping shirtless. Yup, it was more comfy that way.

Last year, the 3rd week of February was among the coldest weeks in HK. This makes me wonder if this warmth is just a fluke and the cold will sneak up and pounce on us just like how Hobbes loves to pounce on the unsuspecting Calvin. I'll see how this weekend will play out, and if the heat continues, that only means it's time to hide my jackets and start bringing out my short sleeved shirts again.

No comments: