Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Love is...

1. Something hand made.
This is the perfect muffler. The colors are nice earth tones. The width and thickness is just right. And what makes it even more perfect that it was hand made! Yup, it wasn't bought off the rack at Gap or Uniqlo - it's made from scratch. Amazing!

Putting a lot of effort into something makes it much more valuable. When we were kids, our parents taught us the value of putting your heart into everything you do - and everything you give. It can be as simple as home-baked empanada for merienda (Mom), macaroons for a visiting suitor (Ate Lissa), or Sweet and Sour Pork for lunch (me). I've brought this philosophy with me through the years, that's why I try to put a lot of effort into every gift I give. Sometimes it's in choosing, other times it's in wrapping - but in each case, I know effort when it's in front of me. And yes, this gift in front of me is a product of a lot of effort.

2. Chocolates!
Everybody loves chocolates. And everybody loves to receive chocolates, too. There have been gazillions of stories how chocolates have always been the favorite pasalubong item. Whether a person comes from Switzerland, San Francisco or Sorsogon, they'll often bring chocolates to people waiting for them back home.

I love chocolates from Japan. Unlike their western cousins, they're less sweet and has a bit of bitterness that reminds me of the tablea that my Lolo in Bicol used to make. Even as a young boy, i'd prefer bitter, dark chocolate over Nestle Crunch or Butterfinger - it feels like semi-sweet chocolate has a lot of mystery and magic in it. And this particular box definitely has a hint of mystery (because I don't know what's inside just yet) and a whole lot of magic!

3. Toppo! (And Pocky, too!)
My love for Toppo has been well documented. From the first time we met at the Shinkansen station on my way to Mark's school, from the time a box of Toppo found its way to my flat in HK. It's been a while since I had my last taste these wonderful snacks because it isn't available in Okashi Land. That's why when I saw two boxes of Toppo (and a box of Pocky), I instantly knew that the week would definitely be a good one. You can never have too much of these, but then again, I have to make these two boxes last.

4. Getting all these the same time.
Yup, you know that it's going to be a great day (and week) when you get all these (and more) in a pack. The past week has been quite tiring at the office and receiving these gifts this afternoon made all that go away. More than that, it makes me look forward to the coming days.

Relaxing at home eating chocolates and Toppo while wearing a hand-made muffler around my neck, yup, I'd love doing that.

No comments: