Monday, February 19, 2007

Ice Cream Sunday

Last year, I celebrated my first Chinese New Year in Hong Kong and realized that it was quite a boring affair. So this year, I decided to spend my 5-day weekend back in Japan. Three of those 5 days were spent in Urasa with Mark, and one of the more important things on the agenda was to try out one of the most popular food stuff in town - Ice Cream!



Even during my first visit here in September, I've already heard of the name "Yummy Ice Cream" from Raul. (He's one of the Filipinos here, and as i've found out yesterday, there's a good chance that we're somehow related.)Mark has also been telling me how "yummy" it really is and how they have some off-kilter flavours - including Squash and Sakura - both of which he tried. I missed my opportunity then, so I made sure the opportunity won't pass me by now. So there we were at Yummy Ice Cream on a Sunday.



Yummy Ice Cream is a quaint little shop which reminds me of those tiny helado shops in Dolores Hidalgo in Mexico. Yesterday, they had about 13 flavours on display, some were familiar and others were somewhat far out. (Although not as far out as the Chicharron and Mole ice cream in Mexico.) Mark, Hazel, Jocie, Angel and I tried two flavours each, and my choices were strawberry (familiar) and soybean (far-out.) Here's the soybean ice cream, and it was - as the brand name suggested - yummy! It tasted like Mocha with a hint of Gold Label's Double Dutch. And the interesting twist was that it had tofu strips. And as William Thacker said: It was surreal, but nice.



After the whole ice cream Sunday experience, it's easy to see why the gang here keep on coming back here. (Aside from the fact that it's the only place to go.) The ice cream and the experience are both of the same quality:

Yummy and Cool.

No comments: