Friday, February 23, 2007

Let them eat cake!


Chocolate cake, to be exact!

My colleagues were in a tizzy this afternoon when I announced that I brought Ate Bullet's chocolate cake with me. It was last year when I introduced everyone to this sinful concoction of Dexter's, and they've been raving about it since then. Everybody gave it two thumbs up, and they spewed superlatives each time they get to eat a slice. And without fail, they ask me: "when are you bringing that cake again?" each time we finish eating and all that's left of the cake are crumbs and bits of icing.

This afternoon, Lilia and Pearl even treated everyone to drinks and squid legs when they saw me bring out the cake. What transpired was an impromptu party, and everybody gathered near the center of the office enjoying the food, music and the usual nonsensical talk. When someone asked what the celebration is about, Pete said: "It's the chocolate cake! That's what's special about today."

And indeed, this chocolate cake is really special. Aside from it being a secret, special recipe, this chocolate cake has a lot of fond memories attached to it. It's part of every Morales celebration! Christenings, Anniversaries, and Birthdays, of course. The last time this cake figured in a big birthday bash was during Mark's surprise last September. This cake went all the way to Japan because he wanted a chocolate cake for his birthday. Apparently, his friends liked it, too. Last Sunday, Ivy told me that she normally doesn't like chocolate cake, but she really liked this one.

True to form, the cake almost vanished 10 minutes after I brought it out of the box. Just like the last time, I heard the same superlatives spewed and thumbs raised. They say chocolate brightens up everyone's mood and makes people happy. And I must say, this chocolate cake did just that.

No comments: