Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Kindness of Strangers

Like some people I know, lately i've found myself losing faith in the kindness of strangers. After all, media and forwarded emails have been telling us that people are out to get you and your money, and will not even think twice before scamming you for any valuables you might have.

This phenomenon isn't unique in the country, though. Even in my travels abroad, i've had a lot of run ins with these people. There was a time when I dropped my mobile phone on the plane, and the person who picked it up (probably the person seated behind me), didn't even bother to return it. In fact, she even kept it for herself! In Jakarta, an immigration person openly asked me to put money in my passport so i wouldn't have problems getting in.

One time in Singapore, I left a bag of bossini stuff in a fast food outlet. When I came back for it a few minutes after I realized my absent-mindedness, it was gone! And the staff there didn't know where it went. (Of course, I was hoping that the kind stranger who found my bag would leave it with the cashier... but no...)

Yesterday, I was in a computer shop having stuff printed, and while waiting, I decided to surf the net. When the print job was done, I excitedly stood up, collected the maps, looked at them and skiddimarinked away. The maps came out quite nicely, so I was in a rush to cut them and pack them in envelopes.

About an hour and a half later, I was going to call someone when I realized that I left my phone in the computer shop. My heart fell immediately, knowing that my phone was gone. This wasn't the first time, so the sting wasn't that painful. Still, I decided to go back to the internet shop and check whether someone actually returned the phone. Long shot as it might have been, it was a shot worth taking.

The moment I entered the shop, the cashier says: "Sir, naiwan niyo yung phone niyo. Binalik nung mamang next sa inyo," then she hands me my phone. I was overjoyed! Whilst he could have kept the phone for himself, chucked the sim and voila! He has a new phone. But still, he had the kindness of heart to bring the phone to the counter and ask the girl to return it to its owner in case he drops by.

Walking away, I felt a rush of joy all around me. It was that light, tingly feeling that you get when something really nice happens. While reveling in this emotion, I realized one thing. I was happy not because I found my phone, but there are still kind strangers out there that makes you have faith in people again.

No comments: