Thursday, January 26, 2006

Eating like a boy

Had lunch at McDonald's again today. Found out they were giving out the "Chronicles of Narnia" toys with their Happy Meal and I just had to get one. Whilst I tried collecting them during my 4-week stay in Manila, my Mom gave them to my niece and nephew in Georgia. So, from having 4 action figures, I now have none.

There I was, standing in line, waiting to order. Beside me was this little boy, around 8 years old, wearing a colorful fleece jacket, nerdy eyeglasses and carrying a backpack. Needless to say, he was a student who must've just completed school and is about to grab lunch before going home. He spoke very clearly for someone so small, and while I don't understand Cantonese, it appeared to me that he speaks with authority. I didn't eavesdrop regarding his order, but something told me that he's going for the Happy Meal as well.

As luck would have it, 8-year old boy and I were seated beside each other. When I saw his tray, I found out that he did order the happy meal. To be exact, he ordered:

- Filet-o-fish
- Regular fries
- Regular soda
- 2 piece McWings
- Jadis the White Witch toy

Then, I looked at my own tray. Guess what i saw:

- Filet-o-fish
- Regular fries
- Regular soda
- 2 piece McWings
- Jadis the White Witch toy

We looked at each other and smiled. Despite the 20+ year gap, this kid and I share the same taste in food and toys. That moment, he was like my little brother. There we were, gnoshing on fries and wings and a filet, then washing it down with soda. And of course, we were both waiting to go back home to open our new toy!

While assessing the scenario, I kept on thinking: Does the boy eat like an adult? Or do I eat like a boy?

McDonalds + a toy? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

No comments: