Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Letting go...

Whilst i've delayed this decision long enough, today i've decided to face it. Partly because my Mom has been breathing down my neck for the longest time, but also because it's the new year, and this is the best time to let go of old things and usher in the new. 

 This morning, I've decided to let go of old jeans and clothes that have been clogging my closet. Being a major pack rat, throwing away and/or giving away things is always difficult. 

But seeing my jeans have exceeded the 100 pair mark, and my shirts are over 200, today was a good day to finally sort out the "must haves" from the "nice to owns." 

I woke up early for this. By 7am, I was already lining up and spreading out the jeans and shirts for a better view and assessment. Aside from the sentimental reasons, other factors I used in choosing were: jean rise, color, cut and details. 

For the shirts, it was simply if it still fits my personality now. (Once upon a time, I was actually a plaid shirt kinda guy. I shudder at the thought nowadays.) By the time the clock hit 10am, I was able to dispose around 20 pairs of jeans, 40 shirts and about 15 pairs of shoes. 

Mom diligently packed them in brown boxes and will ship them to Bicol today so my relatives there can give it to our less fortunate neighbors and townmates. They're the same folks who got a lot of my old G.I. Joe and He-Man toys, and I'm still smarting over that. So this little exercise is equivalent to rubbing salt on an open wound. Hahaha. 

But really, as much as it hurt me to let go of these clothes, I'm also glad at the thought that somewhere in Albay, someone is strolling around in a fashionable pair of Big Star Jeans, a Pull and Bear shirt and a pair of Nike trainers. 

At least i've done my part in making Bicol a bit more fashionable.

No comments: