Tuesday, January 24, 2006

OMG! I'm wearing the same outfit as...

Today was one of those: "I-just-can't-figure-out-what-to-wear-today-days". And as anyone with a fascination with fashion would say, on days like this, you can never go wrong with black. So that's what I did: black t-shirt, black pull over, Zara Jeans and black, leather Chuck Taylors. On my way out, I grabbed my olive green blazer to add a punch of color to the look.

Later on in the day, one of my colleagues stops in front of me, looks at me intently and says: "You're wearing the same thing you wore yesterday."

Looking back - 24 hours back to be exact - I realized that I WAS wearing the same olive green blazer yesterday. But the look was: Esprit Jeans, green American Eagle Cable knit sweater, and Zara boots. So technically, it was a totally different look from yesterday.

So I said: "I'm just wearing the same blazer. Everything else is different." To which he replied: "But the blazer is what people see first, so they'll think you're wearing the same outfit as yesterday." Perplexed by all this attention on a blazer worn two days straight, I asked what was wrong with seeming to have worn the same thing twice. His answer was one that made me smile and scratch my head at the same time:

"You're a style meister, you can't go out looking like you wore the same outfit twice. It's just not right. People might think you're slacking off!"

Me? A "style meister"? Cool beans! It reminds me of the time when my other Hong Kong officemate said that she thinks that i'm so fashionably dressed. Coming from someone in HK - where people are notoriously fashion forward - that's quite a complement. But then again, as that line from the movie goes: "With great power comes great responsiblity." What I learned today is that - if I were indeed a stylemeister - I shouldn't wear the same blazer twice. Along with a couple more "shouldn'ts."

Makes me wonder if I do want to be a style meister. It's bad enough that I have to watch what I say. Now, I need to watch what I wear, too.

No comments: