Friday, January 06, 2006

Public Service

Given all the bad rap that Government agencies are given, people - including myself - see the prospect of going to a government office to avail of some service as a trip to purgatory, or maybe even hell. Visions of long lines, outdated systems and fixers easily come to mind whenever people need to apply for NBI Clearances, passports and IDs.

Despite being an eternal optimist, I visited the SSS office today with a gray cloud looming over my head. More than a year after having my papers verified, I found the time to have my ID card produced. Initially, the plan was to go there really early to beat the crowd and get out in a jiffy. But since I slept really late last night (again), I woke up past 8, with a throbbing head and a disoriented mind.

Because of that, I arrived at the SSS Makati office past 10 am. And, as expected, there was a crowd inside and most of the seats were taken. I saw a guy checking a bunch of papers, and everyone was either bored or napping. The moment my paper was received by the reception guy, I was prepared for the worst. Having come in at 10, I was expecting to be served at around 2 or 3pm.

This suddenly transported me back to when i was getting my resident ID in HK. In their immigration office, the waiting time for each procedure is emblazoned all over the office. For example: 1st time ID applicants - 25-30 minutes; ID replacement - 15-20 minutes. They are so confident and proud of their turn around time that they had it there for everyone to see.

Then again, they won't boast of something that they can't deliver. From the time I walked in, to the time I got my temporary ID, it was less than 30 minutes. So, it was a promise that was kept by the organization.

Of course, when I snapped back to reality, I wasn't in HK but in Makati. And the 30 minute rule definitely won't apply.

Suddenly, something surprising happened. Names were called one after the other, with an interval of about 3 minutes. There were 4 counters serving everyone, so one by one, people started to stand up, do their business, then disappear.

Less than 30 minutes since I stepped in, my name was called. Once inside the cubicle, I did the requisite "write on the log book" and my ID process began.

1. Photo
2. Thumbprint
3. PIN
4. Signature

In less than 10 minutes, I was done. My collection slip was given to me and I was asked to expect the ID within 30 days - the same timeframe given to me in HK.

As I stepped out of the SSS office, there was a silly smile plastered on my face. The government really impressed me this morning. The process was fast, efficient and hassle free. It was so good, in fact, that I can compare my SSS ID experience with my HK ID experience. And when some 3rd world guy in a 3rd world country thinks their processes are as good as a 1st world place, hey, that's news to me.

Now if only our government offices were as snazzy as the ones in HK, or Amsterdam, then we're really getting somewhere.

No comments: