Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Monalisa's Mile

Nope, this isn't about Julia Roberts' women empowerment film. 

But you know me. I'm a huge Julia Roberts fan and never miss a chance to gush about her.

This is about another Monalisa. An awesome friend who's celebrating her birthday today.

Mona and I met more than 30 years ago as Freshmen in UP Diliman. We were both in Block I-1 of UP CMC. Our block was a fun and diverse group of 1st year students from different provinces, schools and backgrounds. And I'm so fortunate to still be in touch with a lot of my block mates, some of whom have become very close friends.

While we were block mates and classmates in a lot of subjects in CMC, Mona and I moved in different circles. She was a member of "The Geeks," which was our version of "The A-list crowd that everyone wanted to be friends with." Meanwhile, I was just a plain and simple geek. Someone who wasn't cool enough to hang out with the cool kids.

Part of my college memories would be seeing them in CASAA. They'd have 2 rows of tables and chairs for their group, exchanging stories, laughs and Super Lemon candy. We'd say our "hi and hellos" when we'd pass by, but we'd often sit a few tables away from them. (Sometimes, even outside CASAA when it was really full.)

My next major interaction with Mona was when we were in 3rd year. She started this organization called "UP Unang Hakbang" which championed and benefitted street kids. There were two things that drew me to that org: 1.) the very worthy cause they were championing, and 2.) their logo - which is still fresh in my mind until today. It was a crayon drawing rendition of 2 kids, and the org name circling that visual.

That was one of the 1st instances when I was in awe at how Mona would go the extra mile for causes she feels strongly about. She was one of the main reasons I wanted to join. And back then, it was clear that Mona would be a leader who would do great things.

While I did apply for their org and participated in some activities, (okay, 1 activity), my membership fell through. It was probably because I was still working at McDonald's that time, and my crew life took most of my free time.

A year or so later, our paths crossed again in another org - UP Journalism Club. My decision to join the club was very Johnny-come-lately - it was during my graduating year. Mona was one of the officers that time, so she'd be very active in setting tasks for the org applicants.

When it was time for our initiation, we were en route to a "secret location" where the rites were supposed to be held. On our way to the "secret location," someone blurted out "Malapit na ba tayo kina Mona?" That was the 1st time we went to Mona's house in Marikina, and being in her house made me feel like I knew her a bit more.

After graduation, we went our separate ways. But as it usually happens, some of the friendships stayed well beyond the hallowed halls of UP and Plaridel Hall. In my case, those friends were Prichy, Kitel, Wowie, Lhorie and Eva. Even though we all had different jobs, we'd find ways and occasions to meet up.

A year or two after, my post-college-friends-circle expanded. This is when D' Frendz was born. Our group was actually formed in a very organic way. We just came together, grew closer, and stuck to each other for decades. 

It was during this time that I really got to know Mona. 


When you've known each other for 3 decades, it's a given that you'll really get to know each other - warts and all - as the adage goes. 

There are a number of things that I've learned about Mona which can be considered common knowledge, or things that most people already know.

She's intelligent, she's accomplished, she's a born leader. She's generous, she's selfless, she's a family woman - both to her immediate family and extended family (which includes us, luckily.) She's steadfast, she's headstrong, she's level-headed, and she has admirable Faith.

But in my decades of interaction with her, there are also things that I've learned about her through experience. Quite a number, really.

One that strikes me the most - she's an empath.

Empathy - in the true sense of the word - is difficult to find in people. And for Mona, it comes so naturally. 

In my personal experience, she knows when to talk or ask questions, or even offer help. She never presses an issue or a question, and has the uncanny knack of knowing when the right time is. 

She already knew Mark for many years when she asked me the question: "Is Francis your friend?" That question actually made me smile when she asked it. And it makes me smile thinking about it now.

After casually mentioning that my colleagues and I were having this issue with the company we were working for, she immediately suggested that we talk to one of the partners in her law firm that specialized in labor issues.

In 2019, while I was in the ER, she was suddenly there with Ate Bullet. She said that it just so happened she was in TMC and saw Ate, and quickly rushed to where I was. She even called Maricar, and I remember they were calmly talking to me and assuring me while lying in the ER. She even brought food from KFC to our room when I was finally admitted. She said that we probably didn't have dinner yet because of all the tests and paperwork being done that day.

Those are just some of the many, many, many ways that Mona showed her empathy and went the extra mile for me. And her empathy is just one of the many, many, many qualities that people don't commonly know.  But as friends, we're truly blessed to get to experience it in our frequent interactions.

Having true, close, dependable and admirable friends is a blessing. Having one like Mona is all that, and even more. That's why on her birthday, I wish her all the blessings she deserves and everything her heart desires.

Happy Birthday, Mona! 

No comments: