Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Picking Sunflowers

When I was a kid - like, grade school kid - crackers were our go-to morning and afternoon snack.

And when it came to crackers, you were either Team Skyflakes or Team Sunflower.

Each cracker was distinct. 

Skyflakes were thicker and fuller, and had a very neutral taste which made it ideal for spreads. Often, we'd top Skyflakes with guava jelly, strawberry jam or coco jam.

Sunflower was thinner and crunchier. It had a distinct savoury taste that you could eat on its own. Sometimes, we'd use the same spreads on it, but this one was much better eaten alone.

For that reason, I was Team Sunflower. From grade school, to high school, to college, even as an adult.

Eventually, they had more and more variants of Sunflower which I welcomed. You can never go wrong with variety! They had Chicken, Pizza, Garlic and Onion, Strawberry filled and Mango filled. And I'm sure there's a flavour or 2 that I missed.

Now, there are a lot more choices when in comes to crackers. Not only do you have the American brands like Ritz Crackers, European brands like McVitie's, and even Asian brands like HaiTai. And while these diversify the cracker landscape, whenever I'm craving for something really good and really familiar, it's still Sunflower Crackers for me.

Sunflower Crackers Chicken, in particular.

I'd pick this anytime. All the time.


No comments: