Sunday, August 28, 2022

At Seventeen

Nope, this isn't about Janis Ian's iconic song.

But don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of that song. Heck, it might be my FMM soon. It's just a Sunday, after all.

This post is about looking back 17 years ago when I had my next foray into adulthood.

On this day, in 2005, I was busy looking for a flat in HKG. Back then, I've checked out more than 30 flats but didn't find anything interesting. First, they were flats in Hong Kong Island, near the office. Eventually, I decided to look for one in Kowloon, despite the ridicule from my colleagues.

Eventually, I found - and stayed - in the same flat for almost 4 years. It was in Austin Road in Jordan, and it really was my home away from home.

That's when I learned that independence was really fun and enriching.

And I learned that truth, 17 years ago.

No comments: