Saturday, April 23, 2022

Fitch (not-so) Perfect

I'm part of the generation who grew up with Abercrombie & Fitch. In fact, I've written about that brand several times on my blog.

A&F was the perfect store if you wanted that cool, preppy look.

Whenever we'd go to the U.S., we have to stop by an A&F store. Three things that I'd usually buy: Polo shirts, graphic tees and jeans. 

Their polo shirts were very comfortable, and the fabric felt very luxe. Their graphic tees were very smart and witty. Their jeans are top notch - from the denim, to the silhouette, to the little details. So, even if they were premium-priced, it was well worth it.

In the 2010s, they ventured into Asia. They had a store along Pedder Street in HKG, along Orchard Road in SG, and in Ginza in JPN. All their stores looked and felt the same: high ceiling, brown shutters, dark interiors, loud music, and the daunting A&F sales people who looked like they stepped out of the catalogue.

By the late 2010s, the brand lost its lustre, and following, in Asia. And apparently, this was also the case in the U.S. In my mind, I'd always ask "Why?" After all, it seemed like they had a great thing going.

Today, I found the answers. Thanks to this Netflix documentary entitled "White Hot."


So, the company that built its name by creating the perfect preppy uniform wasn't as perfect after all.



No comments: